Thursday, February 12, 2009

!Espana, Espana!

SO yesterday I went to my first pro-futbol game. It was INSANE!!! But in a good way. I started the night across from Prado (Prado San Sebastion-the us station right near the center of town). Chevy, which i thought was "An American Tradition," was holding a big tailgate sort of thing. Along the same lines as they do for the NFL, with stands and arcades and stuff. Not much there but I did get free sunny-d. Then we went to Nervion Plaza, where the stadium is, and all hell broke loose. It was England vs. Spain and the best part was the atmosphere of all the people. The English were dancing in the street chanting their songs and the Spanish were everywhere else doing the same. I was starving so went into the mall food court to get food, but strangely they only had one fast food restaurant and the rest were bars. Entire bars chanting the same thing and singing the Spanish fight song, waving flags and dancing on tables, lol. All we could get were four beers. Trying to make our way into our gate we saw some younger guys throwing glass bottles at the side of the stadium and out of no where come like ten cops in full riot gear. They took everyone remotely close to them down and just started beating them with batons. That was a little scary. I mean you always see that these things can turn into riots quickly but still it was a little harsh to see it. I did realize why i go to sporting events, 50% the sport and50% the stuff you can do in the stadium, which isn't like that here so i don't know how many games I would go see but it was still a great experience. There is absolutely no checking of bags or throwing drinks out when you walk in the stadium. If you have a ticket that's it. So at half time we're starving when the entire place pulls out bocadillos and the rest of their dinner and starts chowing down lol! David Beckham played the second half and I'm sad to admit I was following him with my camera, and I don't even lie him, lol! Some of the songs the were singing were "Yo soy espanol, espanol, espanol. Yo soy espanol, espanol" so my version was "No soy espanol, espanol, espanol. No soy espanol espanol!" lol. and "Villa, Villa, Villa. Villa para (not sure it was either para Villa or para Sevilla). Next time I'll just bring my own sandwich! lol.

Well I'm off to Barcelona this weekend. I'm pretty excited. I've always wanted to see all of the Gaudi buildings, and I have plans to see the Picasso and Miro museums! Wish me luck, and warmth. It's supposed to be upper 40's there all weekend and 70's in Sevilla! lol

!Hasta Pronto!