Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Carnival

So I’ve been here for almost two months now and have little over three left but I still find myself amazed that I’m here. I think mainly because I’ve adapted so well. I mean when you have to you adapt but I just seem to be in a complete routine now in a country I’ve never been before with people I’ve never met! It’s just crazy...lol! I will say that I’m enjoying every minute of it. Ash Wednesday was today and I didn’t go to mass. My excuse is that I don’t know when services are but I think more than anything I’m just intimidated. Especially because I literally live right across the street from a church! So I received a request for things to write about in the blog so here you go, afterwards stayed tuned for my weekend at Carnival in Cadiz!

I would have to say that my favorite foods here so far are the tortillas. Nothing like our tortillas at home. These are more like omelet’s or egg casseroles. Its round and about an inch and a half thick consisting of different things depending on what kind you get. The most famous is the tortilla Espanola which is with potatoes, onions and cheese in it. Although the one I had tonight for dinner was amazing!!! It had chorizo, cheese and onion. As for the rest of the food I have a feeling I’m going to be eating a lot of lentils (sp?) when I get back. Always had a bad stigma to me but actually very good…lol.

For the best thing I’ve seen…hmmm…that’s a tuffy…I guess I would have to say Gaudi’s Sagrada Familia in Barcelona. It’s not even completed but it was still so amazing. I can’t really even begin to describe it but it was like abstract but religious with cubist like sculptures and organic forms and amazing use of light and line…..pretty much just awesome. I haven’t been out of the country though yet so I’ll get back to you on that.

Speaking of which, I’m trying my hardest to go to Egypt!!! Like most kids I went through my Egypt phase but I’ve still always wanted to go and it’s a definite possibility. Yes I do know what happened there earlier this week but I actually people living there that I’m staying with and helping me out. The plan is for Cairo and Luxor, where I think I will fulfill another dream of mine which is to take a train and be in a sleeper car! Random I know but still cool to me.





Now for the third largest party in the world!!! So I’ve been to Mardi Gras one time while I was in high school, but it was in Galveston and I didn’t stay long. This was an all night affair which I took a party bus to leaving at 8:30pm and returning sometime around 7am…yea. So you all know I am not a party person but I can now say I have been and more importantly that I’ve been to a bigger party than Tony, hahaha!!!! Lol jp (if you don’t know Tony he is my older brother who has always been disappointed in my inability and utter dislike of partying). WARNING the next little bit isn’t so much graphic as just gross: so we arrive after I and everyone else have been drinking on the bus the whole ride there. My poison this night was Smirnoff and Sunny-D, lol. So obviously we all have to pee. For half of us it was no big deal because guys are lucky bastards that can literally go anywhere! For me and a few others on the other hand… so judgment was a little impaired and we decided to go between cars…AHHH! Although I was the fortunate one because I was able to hold myself up... my friend, who shall remain nameless, wasn’t so fortunate and fell backwards off of the curb and ewwwww!!! (LMAO).

So after that whole ordeal we walk around, talking to random Spaniards and honestly that was about it. Carnival is literally one big costume party (like Halloween) in the streets drunk. No music or clubs or nothing. Although they do have this nice tradition of throwing glass bottles across the plaza…just because, but we had walked off by then thank goodness! Our next adventure came around 3am when we just thought it would be great if we went to the beach! Good in theory, but… so the beach is not a normal beach with sand but a VERY steep hill at the end of which are huge concrete blocks and after that water. One of the guys went down first but ran and instead of falling, rolling, skidding or whatever he picked up speed! I swear it was like a you-tube video he hit the barricade so hard he bounced off! Right afterwards he jumped up and was like “I’m good.” Of course when he climbed back up cuz there was no way in hell we were going down there, we saw his eye brow was split open, it was nasty. Then proceeded the problem of finding an ambulance which we did find but that took him to a hospital where he was going to have to take a cab back to Sevilla, with only 20€… not possible btw. Turns out the bus waited for him, he got stitches and now has a cool story.

After the beach accident we were then left to take care of the most pathetically drunk person I have ever seen dressed in a lobster costume! Needless to say I have no desire to ever go to Carnival again or for that matter Mardi Gras either! Lol but I’m still glad I did it just this once.

I love you all, have a good weekend!